Museum of the University of Wrocław

The Museum is a historical museum and its collections are mainly devoted to the history of the University - from the 15th century to the present.

The oldest collections have the registers of Academy Leopoldina but the majority comes from the years after 1811.

The Museum (Muzeum Uniwersytetu Wrocławskiego) is situated in the main Baroque building of the Univeristy, designed by Christoph Tausch. It is a historical museum and its collections are mainly devoted to the history of the University - from the 15th century to the present. The oldest collections have the registers of Academy Leopoldina but the majority comes from the years after 1811.

The Museum includes:

  • Aula Leopoldinum – the biggest and the most representative room of the main building - it is the only fully-equipped lay Baroque place in Poland, in which there are illusionist paintings of Krzysztof Handke from Ołomuniec, the decor and sculptures of Franz Mangoldt from Moravia and Ignatius Provisore, and Italian master.
  • Oratorium Marianum with Baroque decor and equipment as rich as the ones in Aula was built in the years 1728-1741 as a convent chapel. After the secularisation of the Jesuit order and establishment of the University in 1811, the interior became a Music Hall.
  • Mathematical Tower with a viewpoint terrace at the height of 42m is the old Astronomic Observatory, arranged in 1791 by the University's professor and a Jesuit, L.A. Jungnitz. On the floor there is a meridian line. It is the only instrument of this type in Poland.

Three exhibition rooms:

  • Roman Longchamps Room
  • Stefan Banach Room
  • Pod Filarem Room

Photos

More places