A wooden church in Szczytnicki Park
A small church of St. John Nepomucene is located near Mikołaja Kopernika Street and a park alley Dąbska, close to Japanese Garden and is one of the most recognisable elements of Szczytnicki Park.
Its origins can be traced back to 15th and 16th century. The church is also a listed building. The wooden structure is from the 16th century. It was made by a carpenter from Stare Koźle in Upper Silesia. That is also where it was located at first. Later, it was moved to Kędzierzyn. In 1913 it was relocated to Wrocław. It was showed during the great Centennial Exhibition (presenting, among others, the history of Silesia) as an of garden and cemetery art. Then, the terrain around the church was arranged as a typical village cemetery. There was a medieval penitential cross (it is still there), which was located on the border of the old village, Muchobór Wielki. In 1913 the reconstruction was overseen by an architect from Wrocław, Theo Effenberger, co-author of WUWA exhibition. In the years 1957-1966 the church belonged to Mother of Consolation parish from ul. Wittiga.
It became famous at the end of the 50s. For two years the church was a hideout for thieves. In 1957 the paintings, stolen from the National Museum in Wrocław, were hidden there - the works of Matejko, Kossak and Gierymski.
Usually it can be visited on Sundays from 11am to 3pm. The entrance is free.