Grunwaldzki Bridge (Most Grunwaldzki) is the most recognisable bridge in Wrocław. It was constructed in the years 1908 - 1910 to the design of Richard Plüddemann, the then city councillor for building.
The bridge was constructed in a then new technology - its span is suspended with steel cables attached to 20m high stone pylons on the opposite sites of the river. In the majority it is built from the granite from granite from Strzegom, but this part is mainly unseen (construction mass, pedestal etc.). What can be seen are tile made of granite from Karkonosze.
It was called the Emperor’s Bridge and was opened by the German Kaiser, Wilhelm II. After the Great War it became a Bridge of Freedom and after a few years the name was changed to Emperor’s Bridge again.
It was severely damaged in the spring of 1945. When Breslau (Wrocław) was under a siege, Grunwaldzki Square served as an airport, many houses were demolished, and so were the pylons, since they were to high for the planes. The top towers were dismantled. Later, the bridge was destroyed. It took two years to repair it. After World War II the bridge was called Grunwaldzki Bridge.
It has 112.5m of length and 18m of height.