The steel bridge was built in 1861 to the design of Ernst Uber. It is the older construction of this kind in Wrocław.
The Bridge (Most Piaskowy) was built in the place of old wooden bridges that had been built in the north of the centre. It had also been the shortest way to get to Ostrów Tumski. Earlier, there were gates at the bridge, which were a part of the city fortifications.