Polish Theatre - Jerzy Grzegorzewski Stage
Polish Theatre (Teatr Polski) in Wrocław is the oldest drama theatre in Wrocław, the biggest in Lower Silesia and the second largest in Poland
In 1945 a pioneer group came to Wrocław with Bolesław Drobner and an experienced technical worker Adam Kabaja, who was in charge of preserving the properties of Wrocław theatres.
Kabaja took care of the only theatre building that survived the war - the old City Theatre, the Opera. It is the place that, named the Great Theatre after the war, was the first stage of Polish Theatre. The Theatre had to wait five years for its own stage.
The official, solemn inauguration of the season 1945/1946 took place on the 6th of January 1946 with the premiere of A. Fredro’s “Śluby panieńskie”, under the direction of Teofil Trzciński. That date is considered the beginning of Polish Theatre.
Currently, the Theatre in Wrocław has 3 stages: Jerzy Grzegorzewski Stage (classics in modern arrangements), Na Świebodzkim Stage (theatrical experiments) and Chamber (Kameralna) Stage (comedies and music spectacles).
In 2016 the Theatre celebrates the 70th anniversary.