The Botanical Garden in Wrocław is the second oldest (after Kraków) in Poland. It was established with the University of Wrocław in 1811.
The original Botanical Garden (Ogród Botaniczny) was located on around 5 ha. Its first director ordered 427 seeds and seedlings. But the Garden developed rapidly. In 1816 there was already two thousand plants and its surface was getting bigger and bigger. Today with the surface of 7.5 ha there are 11.5 thousand plants and their cultivars registered, including mountain, rock, water, marsh, tropical and subtropical plants.
The Garden has a status of a separate institute of the Faculty of Biological Sciences of University of Wrocław, there is a Natural Museum and the Garden itself has been registered as a monument of history.
Located close to Ostrów Tumski, it is a popular place for leisure in the open air. Many events take place here, for example Majówki Tumskie, the finals of Magnolia Wrocławskiej, Festival of Pumpkins; there are also concerts and open-air events for children and meetings of gardening enthusiasts. Newly-wed couples choose the Garden for their photo shoots.
The Garden has two entrances: from ul. Sienkiewicza and ul. Kanonia (Ostrów Tumski).
Today with the surface of 7.5 ha there are 11.5 thousand plants and their cultivars registered, including mountain, rock, water, marsh, tropical and subtropical plants.