The park with an area exceeding one hundred hectares is outstretched between Różyckiego, Paderewskiego, Kopernika and Olszewskiego streets.
The first park in this place was established by L. Hohenlohe, the commander of the city garrison, in the area of the then-existing village of Szczytniki in the suburbs of Wrocław in 1783.
The park with an area of 16 hectares was maintained in English style, but it was heavily destroyed by Napoleon’s soldiers in 1806. In 1833, the recreational areas in this part of the city were enlarged – not only did the park become bigger, but also a racing track was created south of it and functioned there till the beginning of the 20th century.
The current appearance and richness of Park Szczytnicki owes much to Peter Joseph Lenne – a royal gardener who arrived in Wrocław from Berlin. At the end of the 19th century, a dyke system was established. Later, at the turn of the 20th century and on the occasion of the Exhibition of the Century in 1913, Park Szczytnicki was enriched with objects that have remained interesting till today and are important points of sightseeing routes. In 1913, the wooden church of Jan Nepomucen was moved to Wrocław and established in the eastern part of the park. Built at the turn of the 17th century, the building had been previously located in Stare Koźle.
In 1905, a monument with the bust of Frederic Schiller, a German poet of the Romantic period, was built in the southern part of Park Szczytnicki. Destroyed during World War II, it was reconstructed. It was one of the favourite places of the poet and dramatist Tadeusz Różewicz. A separate part of Park Szczytnicki is the Japanese Garden. The one that exists today was reconstructed in 1994; a similar one was established in the same place with a pond and Japanese-style building development on the occasion of the Exhibition of Garden Art at the beginning of the 20th century. Park Szczytnicki lies next to other attractions of Wrocław. On the south of it, there is the Pergola, the Centennial Hall and the Zoological Garden. Buildings of the pre-war WuWa exhibition are situated on the east, and the northern part includes large glades and playgrounds.