Viewpoint tower of the Garrison Church
The viewpoint terrace at the top of the tower is one of the most popular tourist places near Rynek. One can get on top through narrow and sinuous stairs. The tower is open between April and October
St. Elisabeth Minor Basilica, The Garrison Church (kościół pw. św. Elżbiety, Kościół Garnizonowy) is one of the most recognisable buildings in Wrocław. Located near Rynek, it dominates over the other buildings with a 90-metre tower.
The Gothic temple was built in the beginning of the 14th century, in 1525 it was the first church in Silesia taken by Evangelicals. It was returned to Catholics in 1946 when it became the garrison church for Wrocław.
In the chronicles there are descriptions of damages and disasters that the building has suffered. The tower was rebuilt several times. The fire in 1976 caused great damage - the roof burnt down, a part of the ceiling, the organ and other wooden decorations. The reconstruction is still going on after that.