1000 – Wrocław becomes the seat of the bishopric. Appearance of papal edict – the oldest preserved, written mention of Wrocław. November 2002 – The function of the President of Wrocław is taken by Rafał Dutkiewicz, elected for the first time after the war in direct elections.
Wrocław becomes the seat of the bishopric. Appearance of papal edict – the oldest preserved, written mention of Wrocław.
Location of the city, rebuilt after Mongol invasion, on German law.
Wrocław obtains Magdeburg Law and the City Council.
Initiation of the construction of city walls completed in the middle of the 14th century.
After Prince Henry Piast’s death, the city and Wrocław duchy come under the reign of the Bohemia crown.
Beginning of reformation in Wrocław (a sermon preached by Johann Hess at St Mary Magdalene Church (kościół Świętej Marii Magdaleny)).
After the death of Louis II of Hungary, the King of Bohemia, Wrocław and Silesia come under the reign of the House of Habsburg; moreover, a construction of modern fortification started and lasted until the end of the 16th century; it survived until the beginning of 19th century.
The end of the Thirty Years’ War – the city manages to avoid major damage and preserves its mainly Protestant character.
Establishment of the Society of Jesus Academy (Akademia Jezuicka) by Tsar Leopold I.
Beginning of Silesian wars, as a result of which Wrocław and Silesia came under Prussian rule.
City conquered by Napoleon’s army and beginning of demolition of city fortifications.
As a result of reforms in Prussia, a modern municipal self-government is established in Wrocław.
Establishment of the public, Prussian University in Wrocław – the University of Wrocław (Uniwersytet Wrocławski).
Subordination of Wrocław bishopric directly to the Holy See.
First omnibus line put into operation.
Opening of the first section of an iron railway (Wrocław – Oława) as a beginning of expansion of the Wrocław junction.
Events of the Spring of Nations’ Revolution in Wrocław.
Beginning of operation of “Archimedes” metal processing industry plants.
Activation of the first horse tram lines (they operated until 1910, after 1891, they were replaced with electric trams).
Beginnings of Wrocław electrification – first electric street lamps at the Market Square.
Completion a construction of navigable channel and river port at Popowice.
Huge flood that caused immense damages in the city, but also resulted in speeding up significant regulatory works, as a consequence of which, the Wrocław Water Junction was established, which still operates to this day.
Opening of the Higher School of Technology (Wyższa Szkoła Techniczna) in Wrocław and Grunwaldzki Bridge (Most Grunwaldzki).
Merger of two enterprises that led to the establishment of the Linke_- Hoffmann-Werke conglomerate, a potentate in rolling stock production.
The exhibition “A Century of the Prussian War of Liberation" (Stulecie Pruskiej Wojny Wyzwoleńczej), completion of construction of the People’s Hall (Hala Ludowa).
- 1914 - 1918
Wrocław as a stronghold in the background of fronts of World War I.
- November 1918
taking over of power in the city by Social Democrats.
- March 1920
An attempt to take over power in the city by the counterrevolution powers during the putsch of Kapp and Lüttwitz.
The team of consulates is joined by the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland.
Olympic Stadium commissioned for use.
Enlargement of the administrative borders of the city with a number of suburban housing estates and terrains.
Taking over of power in Wrocław as well as in all of Germany by the National Socialists, beginnings of Hitler’s terror.
- 9/10 November 1938
"Crystal Night” in Wrocław, the largest massacre of Jewish people.
Wrocław declared as a closed fortress ("Festung Breslau").
- January 1945
Forced evacuation of the population, which was tragic in its consequences.
- February 1945
Beginning of the city’s siege by the Red Army, immense material demolition and tragedy of citizens.
- 6 May 1945
Surrender of "Festung Breslau".
- 9 May 1945
The beginning of taking over the city by the Polish administration 2.08.1945 – At the Potsdam Conference, it is decided to give Wrocław and Silesia to Poland.
- 8 September 1945
The Wrocław Opera (Opera Wrocławska) starts its operation with “Halka” by Stanisław Moniuszko.
- 15 November 1945
Inauguration of the first academic year in post-war Polish Wrocław.
- 21 July 1946
Importing a part of the Ossolineum collection and the Panorama of the Battle of Racławice (Panorama Racławicka) canvas from Lviv to Wrocław.
- 21 July 1948
Opening of the Recovered Territories (Ziemie Odzyskane) exhibition
- 25 August 1948
World Congress of Intellectuals in Defence of Peace (delegates from 46 countries)
- 29 July 1951
Consecration of the restored St John the Baptist Cathedral (katedra św. Jana Chrzciciela).
- August 1963
Smallpox epidemic. City quarantined.
- 09 August 1966
Opening of the 1st Festival of Oratorio-Cantata Music (I Festiwal Muzyki Oratoryjno–Kantatowej) “Wratislavia Cantans” – which continues to this day, the largest and the most famous cyclical cultural event in the city.
- 26 August 1980
– Wrocław employment establishments joined on-going common strikes in the country, which will lead to establishing the Independent Self-governing Trade Union “Solidarity” (NSZZ “Solidarność”).
- 13 December 1981
Beginning of martial law. Through whole period of the 80s, Wrocław remains one of the strongest anti-communist opposition centres in Poland.
- 21 June 1983
Pope John Paul II visits Wrocław, Holy Mass and a meeting with Wrocław citizens at the horse race track (Tory Wyścigów Konnych) at Partynice.
- 14 June 1985
Opening of the restored Panorama of the Battle of Racławice (Panorama Racławicka).
- 4 June 1989
Wrocław citizens massively take part in the first free elections to the Seym and the Senate, the beginning of the end of the communist system.
- 27 May 1990
The first free self-government elections. The City Council was elected and Prof. Stanisław Miękisz was the first Chairman. Bogdan Zdrojewski became the President.
- 19 June 1990
The City Council restores the historic coat of arms of Wrocław, which constitutes a symbol of contemporary Polish citizens accepting Wrocław’s, as well as the German, past.
- 18 January 1993
Wrocław airport becomes an International Airport (Międzynarodowy Port Lotniczy).
- 28 December - 2 January 1995 - 1996
European Youth Meeting from Taizé in Wrocław.
- 21 May – 1 June 1997
46th International Eucharistic Congress with the participation of Pope John Paul II.
Great renovation of the Market Square completed.
- July 1997
Huge flood in Wrocław that, apart from damages, results in speeding up the restoration and modernisation of the municipal infrastructure.
- June 2000
Festive celebration of the Millennium of Wrocław.
- 1 September 2001
Stanisław Huskowski becomes successor to Bogdan Zdrojewski as the President of the City.
- 19 November 2002
The function of the President of Wrocław is taken by Rafał Dutkiewicz, elected for the first time after the war in direct elections.