Wrocław bunkers: see remains of Festung Breslau
The turbulent history of the 20th century left its mark on Wrocław. From 1891 to 1945, being a part of the German Reich, the city was enriched with over 100 military objects. Part of them has survived till today.
Wrocław was a very important military centre of the 2nd Reich. Its economic importance and continuous development were appreciated when Wilhelm II was proclaimed Emperor. In 1889, the staff of the Prussian army made a decision to create a Fortress in Wrocław (Festung Breslau); as a result of this, until 1914, over 60 state-of-the-art military objects were built in the city in order to stop the potential attack of the Russian army.
Infantry Fort no. 6
One of these objects is the Infantry Fort no. 6 located in the small forest near ul. Polanowicka. It was built in 1891. The decision on the creation of Festung Breslau resulted in its expansion, which was finished only in 1914. In spite of its participation in the defence of the city in 1945, the fort was not seriously damaged. After World War II, this area was occupied by the Polish People’s Army and adapted to its needs. Today the Infantry Fort no. 6 is maintained by the Wrocław Fortification Association.
Infantry Fort no. 4
The history of the Infantry Fort no. 4 is very similar to that of the Infantry Fort no. 6. It was also erected in 1891 and was rebuilt till 1914. It was not damaged during the siege of Wrocław in 1945. After World War II, the object at ul. Przestrzenna was taken over by the the Polish People’s Army, which stationed there until the end of the 1980s. Afterwards, the fort was plundered and devastated. Today the object is dilapidated.
Anti-air bunker at Plac Strzegomski
During World War II, in fear of air raids, the authorities of Nazi Germany began to construct objects aimed at ensuring the safety of the civil population of Wrocław. One of them is an anti-air bunker at Plac Strzegomski. It was built in the years 1942-1943. Until 1945, it functioned as a fort hospital. Having been left intact during the fights, it became a store after the war. In the 1990s, some small shops and a pub were opened there. Today it is home to the Wrocław Contemporary Museum.
Twin bunker at ul. Olbińska
At the intersection of ul. Ołbińska and ul. Słowiańska, there is an object identical to the bunker at Plac Strzegomski. It was built in 1941. It is apparently smaller than its “brother”, but its reinforced concrete walls are thicker (sometimes even up to 2 m). Its similarity to buildings that were created under the Nazi nuclear program in Miersdorf has given rise to many theories as to the actual role of both Wrocław bunkers. The object located at ul. Olbińska is not available to visitors.
Bunker at ul. Białodrzewna
It was built in 1943. The two-floor reinforced concrete building contained, among others, a laundry, a medical facility and separate toilets on each floor as well as two gas-tight chambers. After World War II, it was used as a store by the Academy of Fine Arts. Currently, the Nowe Żerniki housing estate is under construction in the surrounding area. According to the plan, the bunker is to be embedded in the walls of the Centre for Culture and Local Activity and be adapted to its scope of activity.